Monday, January 16, 2017

Back on Track


Last week I was depressed. I had a cold; I had piles of things that I had to attend to; the gloom of the winter weather; the constant barrage of noise from the construction outside of my building - these things brought my mood down to the lowest it's been in months!

Another bloody condo, I fumed. Who needs that? Most of the people I know are poor and struggling to find affordable housing.

I'm up to my ears in emails and I should update both my website and the employee schedule. I feel absolutely useless if I can't stay on top of things.  I'm supposed to be perfect, right, like Mom was?

My painting is crap.  I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! This isn't the vision I had, it's turning into something else. Maybe I could paint over it and start over ....

I hate Donald Trump!  He scares me.  The people he has appointed scare me too. They all seem to be filled with hate and distain for minorities, women,  and people who are LGBT. If you're not white; male; privileged; and not for war, oil, and big corporations they have no regard for you and want to beat you down.

Where's a rock that I can hide under until the dust settles?

That was my thought process last week. However, since then I bumped into a friend of mine who lives in my building. She told me that she was fed up with the abusive and disrespectful way that the attendant care service had been treating her. She had applied for Direct Funding so that she could hire her own attendants.  Unfortunately, she said that it could take two to three years to actually get the funding because there was such a demand for it.  I pressed her to go to the media and tell her story about the terrible conditions from the attendant service.  I had done this eleven years ago and it had made such an impact that I'd gotten Direct Funding within six months! If nothing else, it might make the government funnel more money into the program.

I felt good about helping my friend. I also felt good to realize that I'd had Direct Funding for eleven years.  In fact, this month is the anniversary of that wonderful, incredible event.

Happy anniversary to me! Happy anniversary to my freedom! I weathered the storm and had come out a happier, stronger person.

Do your worst,  World! I can take it!

1 comment:

essay best said...

Nice thoughts that you have shared! You have really done a godo job by helping your friend to report the media. The government should have taken the steps to address the issue.